Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving

We had a happy Thanksgiving here at our house with just our little family.  We have spent every Thanksgiving of Belle’s life so far with my parents so this was our first Thanksgiving on our own.  We missed them but still had a fun day. 

I planned to make it really easy and let the kids help a lot since that’s what they love. 

First thing in the morning Max and Chloe and I were up and getting the turkey in the oven.  Max was watching closely as I cut the bag off the turkey and then looked in shock at that naked turkey on the counter and said “Mommy, it’s the wrong animal.  That’s not a turkey that’s a pig!” I tried convincing him that it was a turkey but later on overheard him telling Sterling that it was a pig too. 

Sterling went at played football for a few hours after making a miraculous recovery from being sick the night before.  Heehee.  The turkey bowl is not something to be missed.  Max seemed sad and asked if we could go watch Daddy play football sometime.  I said sure, and then it dawned on me that he was thinking it was a real football game.  When I explained how they didn’t have helmets and didn’t tackle he didn’t seem to be as sad that he was missing it. 

Our turkey was seriously ENORMOUS.  It was just about 20 pounds I think.  It was free at Winco with $100 purchase and if you know me ,you know I picked the largest one I could find.   There was tons leftover which has since been turned into Sterling’s favorite pot pies in the freezer so the holiday can live on and on. 

IMG_7243IMG_7244IMG_7249IMG_7255IMG_7257IMG_7259

This was the highlight of the meal for the kids.  Instead of making homemade rolls I thought that some canned crescent rolls would make everyone just as happy.   They were over the moon about rolling them up and putting them on the pan (and then eating them).IMG_7261IMG_7266IMG_7270

After a restful afternoon we went to Seth and Mandi’s for some visiting and Pie.  It was an 80 degree day but we got in the Christmas mood afterwards by taking in some over the top Christmas light displays  (one in particular) in their neighborhood.  

When we got back up near our house it was perfectly 8 o clock so Sterling ran into Walmart to try for a few black Friday deals.  It was crowded but civilized and he got me a nice giant crock pot for $9 so I can stop stuffing my small one way too full.  While we waited for him the kids and I cruised the parking lot and I told them all about black Friday.  They had a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that there were already 10 people in front of Sam’s Club who were going to stay there the whole night!  If you are going to campout overnight for black Friday, AZ is the place to do it for sure with such mild weather.

Sadly we got a taste of the middle of the night temperatures first hand while outside hosing off Belle’s bedding at 2:30 am.  It seems that all the treats of the day may have been too much for her little tummy.   Luckily it was a one time thing! 

3 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

They are all just so cute helping out with the dinner prep! - yes, even Sterling:)

Libby said...

You're a smart woman to not make the dough for the rolls if you're doing it all yourself (with little helpers). Russ and I read every blog post!

Connie Burrows said...

Sounds and looks like a great Thanksgiving.